The Sunday Roast. A British Classic. However the Roast Chicken gets a bit of a bad rap. Its not always as exciting as lamb or beef and lets face it, we have all had a roast chicken which is bland, tasteless and dry. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to transform your every day bland roast chicken to a taste explosion that will make you feel like there is a party in your mouth… too far? you get the point.
What you need..
- 1 Medium Sized Chicken
- 1 Whole Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Handful of Tarragon
- 100g of Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 minutes 2 Syns
Cook Time: 60 Minutes on gas mark 180
How its done…
- Take your butter, tarragon, and 2 gloves of your garlic and place in food processor. Take the rest of your garlic and place inside the bird.
- Take you lemon and half. With one of the halves you are going to put the zest and the juice in to the food processor with you butter mixture. The other half you are going to put inside the bird.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the food processor and whizz it all together making a herb butter.
- Take you chicken and you want to loosen the skin from the meat, be careful not tear the skin.
- Take you butter and stuff under the skin of the chicken, hold the skin down with one hand and work the butter down the inside of the skin with the other. Make sure to get in to the legs as well. Any left over butter you have you can work in to the wings or just rub on top of the chicken.
- Place in the oven on around 180 for an hour, make sure to check every 20 minutes and keep basting until you chicken is cooked through and skin crispy.
- I always save all the juice from the chicken and mix in with my gravy just to give it even more flavour.
If you are dairy free I have also tried this recipe with dairy free butter and has worked just as well.
For those on Slimming World I worked the points out based on using Flora Extra Light which is 2.5 Syns per 28g.