I think I am slightly in love with this beetroot and basil soup, it honestly tastes as good as it looks. The sweetness of the basil compliments the earthiness of the beetroot perfectly. They are kinda like Chandler and Monica getting together in Friends, you never really thought about them being together before but when they do get together you just know they were meant to be.. If you’ve never tried roasted beetroot before or not sure if you like it, this is the recipe that is going to make you a convert!
What you need..
- 3 x Whole Beetroots
- 4 x Carrots
- 4 x Cloves of Garlic
- 1 red onion
- 4 celery sticks
- 1 Handful of Chopped Basil
- 6 Cups of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 5 minutes Syn Free
Cook Time: 40 Minutes on gas mark 180 and 15 minutes to simmer
How its done…
- Preheat your oven and then take your beetroot and carrots, slice in half and place on a baking tray with the garlic. Spray with fry light, lightly season and pop in the oven until they are soft, should take around 40 minutes.
- Chop your onion and celery and add them to a large pot with a little fry light and saute.
- Add the roasted vegetables and vegetable stock and leave to simmer for around 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Take the pot off the heat blitz the mixtures until smooth, chop your basil and add it to the mixture and stir it in. Give it a final blitz and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve swirl in a little o% Fat Greek Yogurt or opt for a dairy free option if you are vegan or dairy free.