Celeriac is a wonderfully versatile vegetable and is also a great low carb alternative, it also tastes amazing with apple which is why I love this recipe so much. If you have never tried celeriac before or are sitting there thinking, apple? in a soup?! Give this recipe a go and I hope to change your mind. Its gluten free, dairy free and syn free so what more could you want?
What you need..
- 1 x Celeriac
- 2 x Large Cooking Apple
- 1 x Carrot
- 3 x Cloves of Garlic
- 1 x Large Chopped Red Onion
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- Pinch of chopped parsley to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 15 minutes Syn Free
Cook Time: 40 Minutes on gas mark 180 and 15 minutes to simmer
How its done…
- Preheat your oven and then take your Celeriac, thinly slice off top and bottom and then down the sides to remove ‘skin’. Cut in to cube and place on baking sheet with bit of non stick paper. Slice up your cooking apples making sure to remove the core, the skin can be left on, also place on the baking tray, spray with a little fry light and salt and pepper. Leave in the oven cook around 40 minutes until soft in the middle and golden brown on the outside.
- In a large pot add the chopped onion with a little fry light, also add the garlic and chopped carrot (put through garlic press) and lightly saute. Add in your celeriac and apple, vegetable stock and sage and stir. Leave on a medium heat for around 20 minutes.
- Blend your mixture adding a little more water if the consistency is too thick, add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve chop a little parsley on top, also this soup goes great with toasted walnuts crumbled on top. You could even take it one step further and whisk double cream stir in the crushed walnuts to the mixture and swirl in to the soup.